Faces Places (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Written by||Agnès Varda|
|Music by||Matthieu Chedid|
|Edited by||Maxime Pozzi Garcia|
|Distributed by||Le Pacte|
|Box office||$3.5 million|
Faces Places (French: Visages Villages) is a 2017 French documentary film directed by Agnès Varda and JR. It was screened out of competition at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival where it won the L'Œil d'or award. The film follows Varda and JR traveling around rural France, creating portraits of the people they come across. It was released on 28 June 2017 in France and 6 October 2017 in the United States. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 90th Academy Awards.
Varda and JR visit villages and small towns throughout France to meet communities of people and create large portraits of them to plaster on the surroundings.
Faces Places received widespread acclaim from critics. Amy Taubin of Film Comment called the film an "unassuming masterpiece", describing it as "both personal and populist, a celebration of artisanal production (including cinema), worker solidarity, and the photographic arts in the face of mortality."
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 99% based on 93 reviews, with an average rating of 8.9/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Equal parts breezily charming and poignantly powerful, Faces Places is a unique cross-generational portrait of life in rural France from the great Agnès Varda." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 95 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Awards and accolades
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2017)
- "Faces Places (2017)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved 5 March 2018.
- JP. "Visages Villages". JP's Box-Office. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "The 2017 Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Winfrey, Graham (13 April 2017). "2017 Cannes Film Festival Announces Lineup: Todd Haynes, Sofia Coppola, 'Twin Peaks' and More". IndieWire. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- Richford, Rhonda (27 May 2017). "Cannes: Agnes Varda's 'Faces Places' Takes Golden Eye Documentary Prize". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 27 May 2017.
- "Oscars 2018: The list of nominees in full". BBC News. BBC. 23 January 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Hudson, David (22 May 2017). "[The Daily] Cannes 2017: Agnès Varda and JR's Faces Places". The Criterion Collection. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Taubin, Amy (July 2017). "The Speed of Light in a Vacuum". Film Comment. Film Society of Lincoln Center. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Faces Places (Visages, villages) (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Faces Places (Visages Villages)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 13 November 2017.
- "Indian Horse Wins Coveted VIFF Super Channel People's Choice Award". Vancouver International Film Festival (Press release). Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society. 13 October 2017. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- Zacharek, Stephanie (7 December 2017). "The Top 10 Movies of 2017". Time. Retrieved 13 December 2017.